Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Alaska State Fair

SO yesterday was the big day, train ride and the fair. Matthew finally got to ride the train. I didn't realize it was his first train ride of any kind. I guess I take for granted all of the awesome things Dad took us to do when we were little. Now that I am older, I loo back and I am just amazed and VERY grateful that we were able to take the kinds of vacations that we took, I have seen and done some awesome things. Which makes me all the more determines to take Matthew to Baraboo when we go to the Dells with the Ga's so he can ride the train there.

Anyway, it was rainy, but not too bad. Hayden was a champ (like always). We had our fair food (I PAID for eating that funnel cake!) and we went to all the exhibits. There was a whole building dedicated to quilts. Matthew made sure that I could stop and look at the ones I really liked. And we went into the 4-H building, of course... There were SO MANY photography entries, but you can imagine with all the gorgeous opportunities around here. I would have a hard time judging them. Of course, I am not trained or anything, so that might make a difference, but there were SO many good ones that didn't get the placement I thought they should, and A LOT of 1st places that I didn't agree with, even in a artistic aspect... And there was a really cool craft segment with wood carvings. And some pretty cool cakes I took some pictures, I am debating on whether to include all the pictures in Picture Thursday or just do two separate albums. I will probably do 2 since a lot of the PT recipients could prolly care less about the fair! Anyway, in this craft part they had hand painted wares (i.e. plates, vases etc.) And I did NOT agree with that judging! There were some beautiful plates, and the Judge's choice was ridiculous. I should be a judge so I know its done right! LOL.

But one of the highlights, for me, of the fair happened completely by accident. We went into a building with Science a hands on type exhibits aimed towards the kids, of course, but the building had a real bathroom with changing table, so we went in there to get out of the drizzle and feed and change Hayden and let him get some sleep. Anyway, there was a show going on and Hobo Jim was preforming! I have wanted to go and see him, but his shows sell out really fast, so I've never been able to. It was really fun. The first time I ever heard "Where legends are Born" I cried, cuz it is just a perfect picture of Alaska. And it will be the way I remember this majestic place that has been my home for almost 5 years. (Oh, and should you be desiring some Christmas gift ideas, I wouldnt mind having some of his cd's, I have none as of yet. Just putting it out there, since I usually can't ever think of anything I want, I am trying to be better this year)

I just I am starting to get, not nostalgic, but I don't know the word I am looking for... I am realizing that we are going to be leaving this place. This scary, huge place that I never thought I would like, let alone come to love. I never thought I would feel at home here. And there is a sense of pride saying you are from Alaska. Because, while my roots are strongly planted in Iowa and always will be, I am an Alaskan too. My baby was born here, so we will always be tied to this place. He will always be an Alaskan, its his birth rite. Just like I will always be an Iowan. But now it is dawning on me that we wont BE here anymore. I keep telling Matthew that we will come back someday...and I truly want to. Someday, when Hayden is a little older, I want to come and show him where he was born. Matthew doesn't think it will ever happen. He wants so bad to ride the train to Denali, and he says that he will always regret not doing it. I knew he would. That's what hurts me so bad, I knew he would and I didn't insist on it when he had the chance. He says he will always regret not doing it. There are a few available in September that fall under the 2 for one deal so we would pay $244.30 for the whole trip, it doesn't go as far as the Denali Princess Lodge, it just goes to McKinley Princess Lodge. I don't remember the scenery up to McKinley Lodge... I'm sure its worth it. And Matthew really want to do it. I just wish we could... Oh, well. You put wishes in a jar and you can still see through it. We need to be conserving as much money as we can for the move. I just wish I knew whether my PFD application was going to be approved or not, then we could go ahead and do it. Oh well. Misters is awake now so I better go.

No comments: