Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 27, 2005

A view worth the risk

Alright tonight in my search for a good viewing spot to watch the Northern Lights I jouneyed to the back of base. Now to illustrate this I have to tell you that "the back of base" is a bunch of wildness with a road through it. Its where we go fishing and crap like that. i have only driven back there once and that was when mom and dad were here and it was the middle of the day. This was the middle of the night, all by myself. And as I later found out in a truck with about 1/8th of a tnk of gas left. Which doesnt sound bad but when you drive an SUV in 4 wheel dive that doesnt get you too far. Anyway, here I am convinced that I am going to hit a moose while I am trying to watch the sky and not drive off the winding roads, I think "you know I should have brought my phone with me." Duh, moron, you think of that now? So there I was in the middle of no where, by myself with no phone. So I come up over this hill and there in front of my was the most amazing sight I have seen thus far. Over the hill and just above the line of trees were the Lights, a sparking green. they werent really bright so the camera didnt pick them up, but It is a sight I will not soon forget. In the end it was all worth it. I just wish that the camera had picked it up. I guess you have to have a VERY good camera to get the picture down here. In Fairbanks it is really easy to get that picture cuz its so much brighter, but it is a memory that I will carry with me.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

You didn't run out of gas a block from a gas station, did you? I didn't think so.

Yup, that's definitely a story. You probably don't see the lights in the summer, do you?

Ems said...

I see nothing BUT lights in the summer... Just not those.