Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Hurray for Christmas

I used to not like Christmas, because of years of working in retail, I just couldnt stand it. Now that I dont work in retail, I am actually really enjoying it. The way I remember enjoying it when I was little. With hope and belief and happiness. Not the bitterness, bum hum bug, and negativity that I have harboured for almost ten years. And listen to Christmas music, not because I am forced to, but because I want to. Because I enjoy it. I am shopping for presents, at my pace and on my time. I have holiday parties that dont involve shipping in food so we dont leave the store because in actuality we will be too busy to eat. This is the way The holiday is supposed to be. Full of joy and love and a childhood innocence.
I treasure those feelings that I carry with me in a special place in my heart that makes this holiday even more magical. The memories of going to get the Christmas tree. We would go on a Saturday. After practice for the Sunday school Christmas program. Mom, Dad, Amanda, me and Lew would get into the front of the green pick up and sing Christmas carols all the way to the tree farm to cut down our tree. We would bring it back to the house and dad would put it in the stand while mom put on Christmas CDs and pull out the boxes of decorations. Together we would decorate the tree and the house while te voices of Bing Crosby, Brenda Lee, Nat King Cole and the sounds of Manhiem Steamroller floated through the house. We would hang the Stockings and the garland on which my mom would hang the Christmas cards. We would make sugar cookies to frost. And Manda, me and Lew would each get an even amount to decorate.
Christmas Eve was never for opening presents. Christmas Eve, when I was young, we would go to the first Family Service at church and then it was a challenge to see if we could stay up for the Candlelight Service. In between we would go to Gradma's with Uncle Tim, Aunt Joyce, Cassie, Jacob and, later, Nicole. We would have CHristmas treat plates full of goodies. And soup like potato, chili, and Oyster. And have sparkling cider. I loved the Candlelight Service. They would always sing Silent Night when all the lights turned off, and just the candles burning. I loved it. It always made me cry. The emotions of that service were rivaled only by Good Friday.
Christmas morning we would open the presents. Stockings were always first in the sunroom. And then mom would make hot chocolate, the real kind with milk. And then we would go to the living room to open presents. We would take turns handing out presents. And then we would break and have more hot chocolate and Grandma's tearoll. Then we would finish up with gifts and then we would start dinner. Always crab legs and twice baked potatoes. Then it was movie/nap time. Then we would go over to Grandma Whitmer's for a light meal and somtimes presents.
Dad would put up a big light display. People would drive out to the house just to see the lights that he put up. I remember, very vividly, laying in my bed and looking out my window, seeing the multi colored lights right outside my window and reflecting in the snow. I remember one night in paticular in such vivid color and emotion, that I feel it happened only a day ago, instead of years ago. The night I lay looking at those lights, sure to the very one that I heard the bells of a certain sleigh. I was so sure, and in all honesty I still do, and for one single reason, I have always believed in Santa.
Not so much in the man, but in the idea. Santa represents the best of the this season, because it represents the best of a world. An idea of giving, and selflessness. Of the blind faith of a child, in whose innocence we should draw strength. Because it is in the belief of Santa that the magic of Christmas exists. And why I know that Santa exists. Because there is a magic in Christmas carols, and lights, trees ad gifts, family, and love, giving, and, above all, in faith. The faith in a man who brings happiness to deserving people all over the world. And faith in a child, born this night, to make us all worthy of the greatest gift.
Merry Christmas, and I wish for for all of you, and renewed faith.

No comments: