Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, April 05, 2010

Obsess much?

Ok, I have been thinking about it, and thinking about it and thinking about it. What, you ask, am I dedicating all this brain energy to? That stupid little pound! And Why? because it was a +1 and not a -1? Who cares? My body fat percentage went down! Why am I obsessing about gaining one little pound? It could have been water, it is that time of the month. It could have been muscle gain. I did A LOT of walking this week which is working different muscles than my bike. It could have been bone density. I started taking my vitamins to supplement my calcium. It could have been any number of good reasons! But I have to worry about it, and worrying about it isn't going to change it. Its not going to turn back the clock and prevent that +1 from being there. It isn't going to take back Sunday or my Sugar Hangover yesterday. All I can do is turn around, see what I did wrong, and then move forward from there. Each day is a new day and a new opportunity to do things better and as long as I do that then I will keep moving forward. No matter what the scale tells me. I know this is a journey. I know it is a LONG journey. I know I am changing along the way. The way I think about my health, and the way I feel about food...those are changing too. And those are the things I should obsess about. The good things, the steps forward, those are the important things, the things that deserve my energy. I need to learn to embrace those positive steps and not scrutinize the small setbacks. Those are the things that would discourage me in the past. The things that would whisper in my ear that I would fail so I might as well give up. I don't want to give up. I don't want to give up on myself. I want to believe that I can be better, that I can live better. That I deserve better than I have been giving to myself. It is ok to put me first sometimes. I was proud of myself last night cuz I didn't cook supper. I told Matthew that I couldn't cut his hair, make supper, and work out so he needed to decide if he wanted a haircut or me to make supper. Not like he was FORCING me to make supper or anything, but I needed to know which was more important cuz I wasn't going to not work out. (He chose the haircut) But the point of that story is to demonstrate how far I have come in such a short amount of time. The old me would have forgone working out in order to make supper and take care of Matthew. Last night I was able to make me the priority. Not that Matthew cares, I mean he wants me to be healthy more than anyone else, for him and for Hayden. It is that kind of growth that I am talking about though. Those kinds of positive changes that should overshadow the +/- of the scale. I knew going into this the first couple of months would be more of a mental battle than I physical one. Sure, eventually, the physical battle will become more important and will take over center stage, but until then, until I get my head in the right spot, the mental challenges of weight loss are the stars of this show.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

The other thing you have to remember is that you're developing the habits for a lifestyle change. Maybe the calorie deficit won't be as extreme in a maintenance diet, but there will be days where heck yeah you're gonna overeat (and you're going to plan on overeating), but you'll go back and have some calorie deficit days to make up for it. Same concept, different number of calories.

The challenge is 1) to go back to the healthy eating after overeating and 2) not to feel guilty about indulging yourself once in a while. Okay, in the actively losing weight phase, it feels like a set back, but you're still on track for the long run because you are healthier and more fit. And if you enjoyed yourself while you were overeating, that's a battle won, too.