Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Alright so boo to me for not blogging recently. After a nice unplanned trip home it is back to buisness as usual and since I have been gone I have a lot to catch up on. But it is all good. We are bustin ass and takin names. No more games goin on, I am back and recharged and not puttin up with people any more. And unfortunately for Melissa (Karen's apprentice) cuz I am NOT puttin up with anyone's bullshit anymore. So she picked the arong time to be droppin the n word about one of my best and dearest friends. Personal or not, this is dead serious buisness, and that kind of talk wont occur in my salon. Hell no! Whether you make a racist, sexist, anti- reliogous, agist remark I DONT CARE get the HELL out of my salon. For real. She got into some argument with Ralph about tips, cuz we arent paying them out in cash anymore, they are getting paid in their paycheck for tax reasons, but she doesnt get a pay check cuz she ispaying us to work there instead of going to school to finish up her hour requirements. So Ralph told her she couldnt have cash and she hung up the phone and said " This is why I dont work for n****rs" And this was overheard by three other employees. So I kicked her out. Contract or no contract i adhere to a strict zero tolerence policy. And Karen threw a hissy fit and told her to come back, and gave her a slap on the wrist and pretty much said dont do it again. Now wait a minute, who runs this store? I dont remember it being you. And I do believe Lori told me to handle it and i belkieve I had already done that. So now there is a HUGE rift between me, Amber (who also heard this statement and was VERY upset by it since her grandfather is black) and Karen because of this slap on the wrist thing. It would have been fine if she would have just left the store but no, we have to have drama. Bull shit. Get out of my store.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This enployee will not show loyalty, respect for co-workers, will discuss clients behind their backs (which will get her in deep doodoo one day soon) and will not be reliable for set schedules. It's obvious to me.....what's the hold-up? Better to get out now before the salon's rep is compromised. (Would be interesting to hear what she say 'bout you!)

Amanda said...

I've been thinking about this, and I think you overreacted a little, if I take the understanding that you fired her on the spot. I'm also assuming that you don't have an employee handbook that specifies unacceptable behavior and that spells out the consequences of such behavior.

I think you were right in immediately sending her home. It gives everyone time to cool off. I think you should have then scheduled a disciplinary hearing with you, her supervisor (Karen?), and hopefully Lori. Then you present a united front with Ralph's policy, explain why her behavior was unacceptable (with an emphasis on RESPECT), and give her a probationary period and what you expect from her in the future.

Having the hearing makes you look more professional and less reactionary, and gives you a leg to stand on in case she comes back at you with a wrongful termination suit.

But your anger was completely justified. I wouldn't want someone like that working for me.